In this country, an average of 50 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning each year as a result of gas appliances and flues that have not been looked after properly, many more people experience long-term health issues.
We would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the importance of having any gas appliances tested on an annual basis. If you have gas appliances which have been supplied and fitted by us, for example gas boilers, we have a strict legal duty to carry out these checks and will contact you each year to arrange to do this. In general, most of you understand the importance of our contractors visiting each year to carry out this essential work. Generally this takes less than an hour and can be arranged to fit in with your schedule.
Unfortunately a small number our tenants refuse access to our contractors placing themselves, their families and their neighbours at unnecessary risk.
We prefer to carry out the required annual gas service with the full consent of all our tenants. However, we do have the right to enforce access to carry out this work if it becomes necessary. In view of the serious nature of the situation and the potentially life-threatening consequences of any failure on our part to regularly service our gas installation, we have introduced a policy that involves enforcing entry to those properties where our tenants have refused access or ignored all attempts to make contact with them. This action will only be used as a last resort but there will be no exceptions made where access has been continually refused.
We would therefore urge all our tenants to work with us to ensure everyone’s safety by allowing our contractors access.
If you would like any more advice or information about this, please contact one of the following people:
Marianne Campbell: 01349 855 983 or Marianne.email@example.com
Fiona Ferguson: 01349 855 785 or Fiona.firstname.lastname@example.org
Housing Society takes two top awards back to the Highlands
Tuesday 6 November 2018 We are celebrating after picking up two awards at the Chartered Institute of Housing’s annual Scottish awards in Edinburgh on 2…