Frequently Asked Questions

Q   I am looking to move.  What do I need to do?

A   Please fill in online housing application, found at  http://www.highland.gov.uk/info/925/council_housing/244/apply_for_a_house.  Please note that you must have an active e-mail account.

Q:   I am not able to register to access online housing application is there a paper copy?

A:     You can phone Albyn Customer Services office (South or North) on 0300 3230990 / 03003230991 to request a hard copy to be sent to you.


Q:   I need help with paperwork as I'm not able to fill it in myself. Is there assistance available? 

A:   Please contact your dedicated Housing Servicer Officer or an Assistant to discuss further.

Q:    Is there an alternative way to find housing?

A:    You can swap with another tenant, providing there is no restriction on the property type and size.  Any exchange is subject to approval by a social landlord in accordance with the Highland Housing Register Policy.  You will need to complete an exchange application form.  Please contact Albyn Housing office (please see contact telephone numbers above) to request a copy.

Q:    What is the Highland Housing Register (HHR) Policy?

A:   This is a written document that explains how to apply for social housing in the Highlands and Islands, how your application will be assessed and how empty properties will be allocated.  You can access this document HERE.


Q:     Is there a house swap online tool?

A:     House Exchange is a nationwide not-for-profit mutual exchange service for Council and Housing Associations tenants.  Registration is free to any tenant of aHighland Housing Register landlord.  To browse or register please visit http://www.houseexchange.org.uk/.


Q:     My property is not suitable due to a recently diagnosed medical condition. Do I have to move out?

A:    In some cases, we will be able to undertake minor adaptations, subject to funding availability, to your current home as identified by an Occupational Therapist (OT).  You need to contact an OT direct to arrange for a home visit assessment.  If adaptations are unsuitable due to lack of space, property type or not cost effective, you will then need to apply for an alternative suitable accommodation.


Q:      I am looking to move out of the Highlands and Islands area.  What do I need to do?

A:     If you are looking for an alternative property in the social housing sector, please ensure that you contact the local authority in that area to find out more information about allocation policy, application process and assistance available.


Q:      I am working (part-time or full-time) and have low priority to be re-housed. Are there any other housing options available for me to access?

A:      Mid-market rent might be available in the area that you are looking to move into.  Also, if you are looking to make a first step onto the housing ladder other schemes, such as LIFT New Supply or LIFT Open Market Shared Equity, For more information please contact Highland Residential on 01463 701271.